Saturday, January 14, 2012

An Invite!

Last night on the bleachers of the Y, someone made my last seven months day by uttering the simple words, do you want to play Bunco?  Bunco is such a silly game, but it's not about the game.  It's about being included and being thought of enough to be introduced to 11 other people with the expectation that you will continue to get together with those 11 other people on a regular basis.  It's not that I haven't found a "group" - I have my mom's prayer group at school.  I have a couple of people that I go work out with (also moms from school).  But I had not found anything outside of school or church that was just for me.  Granted I have not put in much effort in that area, but dropping hints here and there, asking people what they like to do around here, etc has gotten me nowhere.  I may not even like the people at Bunco, but at least I know I like the hostess.  And the other girl that was sitting on the bleachers with us who also was invited.  Turns out that their Bunco group has been dwindling which happens.  But maybe their Bunco group has been dwindling so that I could make some new friends.

Last week we were invited to lunch with another couple.  Little boy had spent the night at their house and we were trying to figure out what time to pick him up when she suggested we just meet at lunch.  They introduced us to a great little burger joint out on an airstrip, Stearman Field.  It was one of just a few places around here that remind them of Austin.  That's right, they are from TX too.  And I'm so thankful to have met them because they get it.  They get that it's just different here and to quote my new friend, "the only normal people I've met here are from out of state."  That makes me laugh because sadly it's pretty true.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for your Bunco invite! I hope it is fun for you!

    ReplyDelete