Thursday, August 11, 2011

Can't sleep

Four of the past seven nights we've had severe thunderstorms come through.  And I can't sleep through the storms, unlike the youngest member of our family who has yet to wake up during one of them.  We have a text messaging service from the Weather Channel that alerts us when there is bad weather coming.  It's nice to have, but at the same time I probably wouldn't be glued to the radar screen if it didn't text me.  So we get the text, check the radar and then make sure there is nothing outside that can blow away (neighbors have had grills, basketball hoops and furniture blow over) and then wait it out.  Luckily for me, I've had some great books that I've been reading the past couple of weeks.  Unfortunately, then I don't want to go to sleep when the storm has calmed down because I'm too into the book.  So my internal clock is all messed up and we have less than a week until it needs to be straightened out for school.

Flipflop can't seem to sleep either.  That is, she can't sleep in her own room.  I'm pretty sure part of the problem is crickets outside her window.  And part of the problem is that she is scared being downstairs in the new house.  So she's been camping out on our floor, on the couch upstairs or even on the couch downstairs last night.  At least we are getting closer to her room.  She has slept in her room the majority of the nights we've been here, so I'm not really sure what happened this week (other than the storms) that has given her a reason not to sleep down there (where she is actually safer from the storms).

I've started reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett this week.  I wanted to read it before seeing the movie which has recently come out.  So far it's really good.  Last week I finished The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon.  That one was hard to put down (which is probably why I haven't been sleeping normal hours!).

Goal for this week is to make a hair appointment.  I have one recommendation for a salon, but it's not very convenient and says, "upscale" which honestly probably means more than I want to pay.  I have been meaning to ask my neighbors but every time I see them I forget!  Pretty soon they may look at me and start suggesting places though...

Oh and I am sad to report that Firefly has not outgrown the wheat allergy.  It did not affect him quite as badly as it used to, but it definitely still affects him.  Poor little guy!


No comments:

Post a Comment